The Mobile Arts Council is now accepting entries for the 2023 District 1 Visual Arts Achievement Program and Young at Art! Those eligible for District 1 include public and private schools Baldwin, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia, Mobile, Monroe, and Washington counties. Every student who receives a District Award will be recognized in the State Awards from the Alabama State Council on the Arts online. All entries must be submitted online. Private studios are not eligible to submit work. Entry categories include craft, drawing, painting, photography/new media, printmaking, and sculpture.
The Visual Arts Achievement Program provides opportunities for students in grades 6 through 12 to be recognized for their contributions to the visual arts at the local and state levels. Only one entry per individual student will be eligible. Teachers may submit up to 7 entries total. View the statewide schedule, including scholarship opportunities for students on ASCA’s website here. The District 1 juried exhibition will hang from February 3rd to February 28th.
Concurrently, Young at Art is for 5th grade students and below, and not included in the juried competition. Teachers working at one location/school may submit no more than 5 entries total, and teachers working at more than one location/school may submit up to 7 entries total. These entries must be equipped to hang (with a wire, sawtooth hanger, contact strips, or some other way that does not stick out of the top of the artwork). Unlike VAAP, this show is also open to private lesson teachers.
- Drop off dates are January 31st and February 1st from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Due to Mardi Gras parades, the gallery will close at 5:00 p.m. on ArtWalk Friday (February 10th), close at 4:00 p.m. Thursday & Friday, February 16th & 17th, and remain closed through Tuesday, February 21st.
- The Region 1 awards ceremony will take place on Sunday, February 26th from 1 to 3 p.m. at the MAC gallery.
- Pick up will be March 1st and 2nd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The State awards ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 13th at 1:00 p.m. in Montgomery.
Please download the “TEACHER_INVENTORY_Form” and “VAAP_Label-Template_2023.” Review the information provided in these documents, and contact Sydney Cramer at email@example.com or 251-432-9796 for more information. Gallery hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday – Friday & 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday.